Click HERE for wonderful photos of Dumfries House including the Pink Dining room with its Murano glass chandelier !
The YouTube video below shows the complete documentary on the restoration of Dumfries House.
Designed by the brothers John Robert and James Adam and furnished by cabinetmaker Thomas Chippendale, Dumfries House, set in 2000 acres in Ayrshire, is considered the most gloriously intact 18th-century house in Scotland. It was built in 1759 for Earl William Crichton-Dalrymple, the 5th Earl of Dumfries, and Knight of the Order of the Thistle (in 1752) . The substantial estates were inherited by the Earl’s nephew, Patrick Macdouall-Crichton.
The estate passed onto the 7th Marquess of Bute but in 2007 there was no money to maintain the up-keep of the grounds and of the beautiful stately house, and it was put up for sale. The house contains some of the most important collections by master furniture-maker Thomas Chippendale. Due to its significance and the risk of the furniture collection being distributed and auctioned, in 2007 the estate and its entire contents was purchased for £45m by a consortium headed by HRH Charles, Prince of Wales, including a £20m loan from the Prince’s charitable trust.
The vision of HRH is to restore Dumfries House to its former glory and to preserve British workmanship and architecture, as a part of Scottish heritage, for present and future generations. Regeneration has by no means been confined to the house.